What Happens When You’re Injured in a Hit-and-Run Crash?

We put PERSONAL back Into Personal Injury Law

What Happens When You’re Injured in a Hit-and-Run Crash?

Last month, a driver in an SUV crashed into a sedan in Carrollton, TX, killing the driver of the sedan, a 65-year-old Dallas woman. A 25-year-old passenger in her car was seriously injured. The driver of the SUV fled before officers arrived. What can you do if you’re injured in a hit-and-run crash? If you don’t know who was the responsible driver, how can you be compensated for your injuries by the driver’s insurance?

Every state has laws that make it illegal for a driver to flee the scene of a crash. The Texas Transportation Code (Section 550) says, “The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident that results or is reasonably likely to result in injury to or death of a person shall:

  • immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the scene as possible; (2)  immediately return to the scene of the accident if the vehicle is not stopped at the scene of the accident; (3)  immediately determine whether a person is involved in the accident, and if a person is involved in the accident, whether that person requires aid; and (4) remain at the scene of the accident until the operator complies with the requirements of Section 550.023, which spells out the duty of the driver to “give information and render aid.” If the driver does not stop, and a death or serious injury is the result of the crash, he or she may be guilty of a felony.

Immediately after you have been a victim of a hit-and-run crash, you need to call the police and also record every detail you can remember about the vehicle, the driver, the circumstances of the accident, and your injuries. Then, talk to an experienced personal injury attorney about your case. If your vehicle is damaged, you may be able to cover the repair of that damage under your own collision insurance policy (minus the deductible.) When you’re the victim of a hit and run in Texas where the driver is never found or identified, your own injuries will be covered only if you have purchased uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. It’s a good idea to purchase this additional coverage. If you have it, you can claim medical costs, lost wages, and other damages you may have a right to as a victim of a hit-and-run injury.

At Hudson Law Firm, we put PERSONAL back into Personal Injury Law. For an injury claim evaluation, call us at (972) 360-9898, or visit our website to chat with an associate. We understand and care about your injury, and look forward to helping you with your accident claim.